Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Fallen by Lauren Kate

 Fallen by Lauren Kate

Fallen is a 2009 young adult goth fantasy and romance novel written by Lauren Kate, telling the story of Daniel and Luce who had a love so strong that not even fate could keep them apart. 

So following in the footsteps of my last review, I once again fell in love with another frightfully beautiful cover and decided to read the book. And if that wasn't enough to convince me to bring the book home, ALL of the teenage girls who came into the library were raving about how awesome this book is and freaking out over winning it, as apart of our summer reading program.

And.... I can't say that I disagree with them.

In a lot of ways, this book reminded me of Hush, Hush. Of course, I wanted more. Of course, I felt that the main female character was giving me emotional whiplash. And of course, I thought that Daniel was being a real class one jerk.
 
As a female, some things really irked me. For example, Luce sees Daniel for the "first time" and after smirking at her, he flips her off. BUT the first thing she thinks to do is to fall completely obsessed with the guy. I mean for goodness sake, HE FLIPPED HER OFF! What about that screams romance? I understand that she had this strange feeling that she knew him from somewhere which gave her the desire to want to get to know him but honestly, no one can be blamed if they thought she was an idiot because at that point, I thought she was acting like an idiot. His smile couldn't have signaled something as wonderful as to make her think he meant anything more than screw you when he flipped her the bird. And let's not make the mistake of noticing that later in the book, he couldn't even explain himself when she brought it up. He just sat there fumbling over his words like a moron.

I can't say that I loved the way it all of a sudden dawned on her that she could just believe all that Daniel had told her. She literally thought it over for like thirty minutes. I would've thought when she freaked out back when they were talking, she may have needed just a little more time but hey, that's just me. 
 

However, even though the novel is clearly fiction- there was a more realistic approach to the idea of fallen angels that captivated me. Just the basics of their love story: being destined for one another but always being torn apart, made my heart swoon. 

I loved the horror and sadness that was constantly creeping about in this novel: the demon spirits that are always haunting Luce, the clear fact that their school (prison) was located on cemetery grounds, the idea that she was a deranged, fire starting murderer who killed her own crush and couldn't even remember it. It was perfect. The random death of Penn had me in tears though. That wasn't perfect. Girl didn't deserve that fate, but it's always the ones who don't deserve the short stick who end up picking it.

Anyway, of course now I'm hooked. All this fallen angel romance is definitely a guilty please so I'll be reading the next book in the series, as if you had to ask.

Until next time,
XOXOXOXO
-D




No comments:

Post a Comment